Shrine Window Dates Back to 1875Jamie Trueblood
The Sacred Heart stained-glass window in our Holy Agony Shrine is one the oldest windows in The Miraculous Medal Shrine. It was installed in 1875, when the church was the Immaculate Conception Chapel. The Holy Agony Shrine, which commemorates the passion of Our Lord, lies within the eastern transept of the Shrine. Its focal point is the Sacred Heart stained glass window. The famous Studio of F.X. Zettler (Francis Xaver Zettler) in Munich, Bavaria, produced the beautiful artwork. The stained-glass window depicts Jesus pointing to His Sacred Heart, which is surrounded by thorns and burning with love.
His left arm extends outward, a gesture of sharing His Divine Life with us. To the left and right of the window are four panels (two on each side) depicting the sorrowful mysteries. For the past 145 years, moisture has damaged this exquisite work of religious art. This moving image, which has inspired generations of devoted Catholics to reflect on the sorrowful mysteries, is in dire need of major restoration and efforts are underway to begin campaigning for support of the restoration and repairs. While there is evidence of the window having been “worked on” over the years, it appears that the window hasn’t been removed since the day it was installed.